Thursday, August 26, 2010

Where things stand

So in case you couldn't tell, things with S have been going really well. Spending time with him is so easy -- our conversations just flow, and we seem able to talk about anything (from our families, to funny childhood stories, to politics, to what we thought about the ending of "Inception," to our days at work, to how we feel about disciplining children -- seriously!). He is always making me smile, and laugh, and I'm very relaxed around him. And yes, there's certainly chemistry as well. I find myself incredibly honest with him, which is amazingly refreshing. And he's clearly sensitive to what makes me happy, and trying to figure out what makes me tick, and pays attention to everything that I say. It's just so nice to be around him.

The other night he asked if he could call me his girlfriend. And I told him that he could say whatever he wanted, but that it might take me some time to use the term "boyfriend" -- just because it might take me some time. So that while I'm not going to date anyone else, not to be surprised if he only hears me call him "the guy that I'm dating" or something along those lines. And he was fine with that. That was the end of the conversation. He's certainly not the pushy type, that's for sure!

He came over last night to cook me dinner (he cooked fish, I cooked the vegetables, and we both did the dishes together). He even remembered that I had broken a bottle of wine the other day and so brought over another bottle to drink with dinner -- what guy remembers things like that? He hasn't had a chance to meet any of my friends yet, and will be out of town this weekend (when I'm hosting an Emmy-watching party), but I'm hoping there will be a chance at some point in the near future. :-D

Here are some other things that I've found amusing or annoying over the past few days and upon which you may wish to comment:

-- If you want to suspend your profile on frumster, the options for the reason why are "engaged to someone I met through frumster," "engaged to someone I met not through frumster," or "other." Really? They expect you to stay on the site until you get engaged??? Why aren't the options "Dating someone I met through frumster," "dating someone met not through frumster," etc??! Why did I have to type that into the "other" field?? If someone stays an active member on the site until the moment they get engaged, I have a MAJOR problem with that person!!!

-- Someone at a meal I attended last week heard that someone else had gotten engaged (actually, she heard wrong, and it was someone else who had gotten engaged, but that's beside the point). That person then said, "Oh, how nice, she really deserves it, she's been on the west side for so long!" Okay, so this girl has been a single girl on the UWS for a long time, so SHE deserves to be engaged? Meaning that those of us who haven't been living on the UWS for as long as she has don't deserve to get engaged? What makes one person DESERVE to be engaged more than someone else? Don't we ALL deserve to find our Bashert and get engaged and be happy, etc, etc, etc?? I was seriously annoyed by that response. (And, btw, it was said by a single girl on the UWS.)


3 comments:

  1. everyone says 'oh, she deserves to be engaged' to hide the fact 'oh, I'm still single, and, while it's nice, I want to be engaged', from what I've been told. Here's my question, though: if a guy has to ask to be your boyfriend, isn't that kind of a bit odd? I don't know, as I've never done it, just kind of 'know' (unless the girl is a psycho hose beast who....ok, not going there), so I'm curious why he'd ask if putting labels on things aren't always the greatest idea (minus the whole 'engaged' thing, boyfriend/girlfriend is kind of like living in high school all over again). Just curiosity getting the best of me, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would guess that Frumster has the options of "Engaged" or "Other" because you're not actually "supposed to be" dating, right? A "true" frummy would meet the bashert, get engaged, and then start dating. What a crock! Anyway, I am so excited things are going well for you. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! so happy you are happy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete