Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sometimes I feel like I'm actually a good doctor

I was on call this past weekend for a private practice on the UES that I cover one weekend a month, and there were a couple instances that were a little rewarding. I saw a newborn in the well-baby nursery both mornings and on Sunday morning as I was leaving, the Mom asked for my card so she could use me as her pediatrician instead of this office. It was sweet, but I told her that I worked in the Hospital's clinic and that my schedule was fully booked, but that she was really going to like the doctors in that practice. I felt so honored!! I also had a couple phone calls about some pretty sick kids, and I gave the parents some advice, and when I followed up with the parents the next day the kids were doing much better! So my advice worked, which felt really good. :-)

I've also now been practicing long enough that I'm getting newborns who are the younger siblings of other patients that I've had since THEY were born! Happened to me today in clinic. I've already had newborns who were younger siblings of kids that I picked up as toddlers or older patients -- one Mom on the postpartum floor the other day told the attending on service very specifically that I was her pediatrician, this for her 7th baby! -- but today was the 2nd time that I had the younger baby of another baby (who is 2 1/2 now). It's VERY rewarding!!

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my job? Most days, at least. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment