Thursday, August 19, 2010

Going Out on Proper Dates

NYC has many really nice kosher restaurants. It also has many mediocre kosher restaurants. I usually go to (or order delivery from) the latter. They are more affordable, and you can get a burger, or a chicken sandwich, or chinese food. I have been to the nice places very few times. In fact, I've been to each one once. With my Mom, when she's been in town (Thanks, Mom!), or when we've visited NYC before I moved here.

Now you may have noticed that I dated J#6 for over 2 years. He never once took me a nice Kosher restaurant. Not for our 1st anniversary. Not for my 30th birthday. Not for our 2nd anniversary. I took him to one of the NICER, but still on the cheaper side, places for his birthday. He took me the same place 6 months later for my birthday (but then nowhere special for the following, 30th, b'day). He did take me to a few kosher places in NJ when we first started dating -- he had a car, and lived there -- but the nicest one was a dairy pasta place. And one was barbeque, which was a treat, but nothing fancy. I never once dressed nicer than jeans. My Mom took us BOTH to a super fancy kosher place when she was in town once -- when a visiting chef was there (he had won Top Chef). It was amazing. But for the most part, we ordered chinese, or burgers. We very rarely even went out to those restaurants, it was mostly delivery to my apartment.

Tonight is my 3rd date with S. He's taking me to one of these fancy Kosher restaurants. And I am not going to be wearing jeans. Now you should know that he's NOT rich. In fact, he just quit his regular job to open up his own law office to help the under-served. So he doesn't even have a regular paycheck right now! But apparently he actually knows how to take someone out on proper dates, and treat them well, and all those things that J6 didn't know. And I have to say, I'm really excited!!

And, by the way, this is after we spoke on the phone for over an hour last night. The girl who hates talking on the phone spent that long speaking to a guy, and only hung up b/c it was midnight and she had to go to sleep. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Woh, J6 never took you to a nice place, even for your bday? Didn't realize any of that...and, just remember, all that matters is if he makes you happy, which, right now, obviously seems to be the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what was the appeal with J6. Obviously there was something that made you stick it out for 2 years. Is there a limit now to how long you will date someone before you move on?

    ReplyDelete