Monday, August 2, 2010

My weekend movie reviews

Hello, my loyal readers! Did you have a fun weekend?

I saw three (!) movies this weekend. That's after spending all day in Central Park on Saturday (it was gorgeous weather!). I also finished our next bookclub book, and did some studying, so it wasn't a completely wasted weekend. Below are my reviews, would love to hear what you thought as well. I do believe in the past week I've seen 30% of the Oscar nominees for this year, by the way.

1) Inception: BRILLIANT film. Christopher Nolan is a genius. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what happens, and I understand why many reviews have said it needs two viewings. I also agree with the reviews that say the romantic storyline (between Leo and Marion Cotillard) feels kinda rushed and not "enough" to be truly bought by the audience. But that storyline isn't the important part, you don't need to buy it to get the rest of it, so who really cares? I'm torn between two major theories, and I don't want to give away any spoilers for those of you who haven't seen it yet, but go see it and then we can discuss. For those of you who haven't see it yet, think Ocean's 11 (a great heist movie) mixed with Memento (a mixed-up messes with your brain movie) and you've got Inception. Now go see it.

2) Despicable Me (3D): Very cute and funny. You would never know it was Steve Carell if you didn't know. He's a villain who needs the help of 3 little girls to steal the moon, and of course the 3 little girls are super adorable. Plus there are the minions!! I need some minions, anyone know where I can get some?? Be sure to stay for the credits. That's the best part of the 3D.

3) Toy Story 3 (3D): Awesome. So incredibly sweet, and sad, and beautiful, and written for adults but funny for kids. I cried, of course, who wouldn't? Andy is all grown up and going away to college, and the toys are bound for the attic. But they decide to ship themselves off to daycare instead, hoping to be played with, and all hell breaks loose. See it in 3D if you can, but make sure to see it. Just bring some kleenex. And again, stay through the credits, Pixar will never let you down. (As an aside, I love the Pixar shorts, but the one before this film was not my favorite. It's cute, just not one of their best. Let me know if you disagree.)

No comments:

Post a Comment