Thursday, July 29, 2010

A quick follow up

I got my "matches" from the party the other night. There was the guy from Frumster -- who clearly still liked me enough by the end of the party to turn my number in! And then I had decided with a friend to turn each other's number in so that we'd see how long it would take to get the "match." I'm surprised it was only a few days!

Oh well.

Meanwhile, I would like to tell you about one of my pet peeves with online dating. Frumster/Jwed has a feature called "send an icebreaker." It allows you to send an automatic message to another member, where the computer fills in information about you. So if I want to click "Send an icebreaker" when viewing a profile I particularly like, it would send the guy an e-mail with the subject "The Doctor would like to communicate with you" and the e-mail would say "My name is The Doctor and I am a 30 year old Modern Orthodox woman from New York City, NY where I work as a Pediatrician. My hobbies include: Theater, museums, movies and baseball. To view my full profile click the link at the bottom of this email." Such an ice-breaker would include all spelling mistakes and such from your profile b/c it just pulls the information from the top section, and in fact certain things are in bold b/c of how it pulls the info. Does that tell you anything at all about me? NO. It's stupid, and a waste of time.

Now the only one to send an ice-breaker is to be viewing someone's profile and click the link. I HATE ice breakers, I think they are stupid and lazy and if you want to talk to me, say "hello" and at least take the time to write something original. So at the bottom of my profile, it says that I won't respond to ice breakers (among other things, including to please make an effort in your email in general since I've made an effort in my profile, but we can come back to that point another time). And yet I still get them! So CLEARLY people aren't reading my profile and are just clicking the button once they see my picture or something, right? How annoying is that? So now I'm just deleting them from my inbox. Do you think that's wrong? Should I be responding to the ice breakers at all, even with a comment that says to please write a full email, or is it okay to just delete?

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you are saying, but what if you're missing out on someone who could be great just because he sent an "icebreaker." Sometimes I have trouble figuring out what to write in an e-mail to someone on Jdate, so sending those little one-liners make it a little easier.

    ReplyDelete