Friday, July 23, 2010

JDate vs JWed

Last post today, I promise, b/c I have to get some actual work done at some point.....

So I've been using one online dating site for some time. Actually, my profile dates back to 2002 (when I was in college), so clearly it's worked for me. Ha. Anyway, the site used to be called "Frumster." I always hated the name, but it clearly implied its purpose -- it was designed for the more observant single Jewish person ("frum" is a Yiddish term for observant). As opposed to other sites, like JDate, which is more commonly known but doesn't always serve the observant world.

Well they've now changed their name to JWed. Which is clearly stating that they are DIFFERENT in more ways than one from JDate. So it's not just that "we are here for the observant Jewish single person," but they are now saying "we are here for the Jewish single person who actually wants to get married" -- in other words, are they trying to say that JDate is designed for people who ONLY want to date and NOT get married??

What do y'all think? I know several people who've gotten married after meeting people on JDate. I also know lots of people who haven't had any success on JDate at all. And clearly, I've been hugely successful on Frumster, on and off, for the past 8 years, despite wanting to get married that entire time.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, love your blog! So happy to see you blogging. :)

    And as for this JDate vs. JWed, I think the main difference is that JDate is a catch-all and going to appeal to all levels of goals (dates, long relationships, marriage) whereas with JWed, people are only going to use it if they are on a mission to find their solemate. So it's sort of like saying that JWed is a category within JDate, but JDate is the umbrella. It's just more niche.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. and by solemate, i meant soulmate, not the missing half of their pair of shoes! OY VEY I NEED COFFEE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on Jdate and to be honest I am not sure what I am looking for. If I met my soulmate that would be wonderful, but I am willing to meet and date to get to that point. I think the reason some of us wouldn't go directly to JWed is just that last part "WED." I would feel so much pressure to make a date work, rather than just to relax and have fun. Does that make sense?

    Beyond that, I think my (and others') leaning towards less observance is a turn off to the site.

    ReplyDelete