Thursday, October 21, 2010

Back to Real Life

The good news is that my boards are over. The bad news is that the test totally sucked, and instead of covering the material I knew really well, seemed to cover a LOT of the material I didn't know as well (endocrine, renal, electrolytes) and really stupid stuff (reducing medical errors, cultural differences, whether or not a 4 year old should be allowed to leave out PJ's for his imaginary friend!). And now I have to wait a few months for the results. But at least I don't have to study any more, and with any luck I'll never have to study for it again!!

Which means I can come back to my real life -- and back to blogging, which I've missed. Eh, real life -- I have a biostats midterm (a make-up, since the test was the same day as the boards), and a bioethics paper, both due this Monday -- and I'm call for the UES practice I cover once a month all weekend -- so I haven't really had time to recover yet. But you know what I mean. And my DVR is still hanging out around 95% full, plus I've deleted all the shows that are on-demand, which means I keep having to remind myself that I need to go watch those shows too. Sigh.

But about the boy....things are pretty amazing. Even with all the stress from my studying. It's been 2 1/2 months and I don't really know how things could be any better. He came pretty close to using the "L" word a couple weeks ago but got embarrassed, so didn't -- although when I asked him if he thought he was falling in love with me a few days later, he said "yes." He booked a flight to come home with me for Thanksgiving (and he's flying on my connecting flights instead of the direct flights he'd prefer, for the "fun and experience" of traveling with me). He got to meet some very important people in my life a few weeks ago when a close family friend got engaged and we went out to Brooklyn for the engagement party, and they loved him. And tonight he's meeting the first family members -- my aunt and uncle are in town and taking us out for dinner. This is after all my friends have judged him favorably, of course. And in 3 weeks, my Mom will be in town! This weekend I'll be meeting some of his family, also -- a family BBQ, and he's been putting his friends off until after my Boards, so that should also be around the corner.

We talk about everything. I know all his "secrets," including some not so great and wonderful things about his past that he isn't proud of, but he's working through in an honorable way. He knows all mine, including something that I never told J6 in 2+ years (it's not a bad thing, just something I never told him) -- and something else that when I told J6, he hated. S, meanwhile, couldn't have cared less about that -- he said it happened so long ago, when I was young and stupid, so who cared? We talk about our future (in a hypothetical sense), as in where we would want to live and raise children -- and how to raise children (like what kinds of schools -- public vs private -- etc), what kind of house we would want, our careers, etc. And while I was stressed and studying all the time, he was just there -- happy to order in or cook me dinner, also okay if I told him I couldn't see him b/c I needed to be alone and study, or that he could come over but I was going to sit on my couch and watch TV that night. Incredibly supportive and amazing.

So here's my question now -- when do I tell him about this blog? He's heard all the stories on it already, so that's not an issue, but he doesn't know that I've been talking about him all this time. Any thoughts??

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. Congrats ON taking the Boards! I'm sure your thankful that they are over and can't wait to hear the results! As far as the boards not being what you are comfortable with I 'm sure you went over all of it at some point and your mind took over and you passed it anyway! As your as new man knowing about your blog, that's tricky. That means from now on you'll be censoring your thoughts and tip toeing about your feelings while blogging. I would say never but I'm not you. So I would suggest just you should tell him when your sure it won't affect you thoughts and feelings on what you want to write for fear that he might take it the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loves the Garden StateOctober 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM

    Congrats on taking the boards. And I'll go back to that old med school axiom of "P=MD." It doesn't matter how you do as long as you pass, and I am confident that you passed.

    As for sharing your blog with S, my Great Aunt Sarah had this recipe for a dough, and it said on the recipe card "Knead until it feels right." My mother eventually sat her down and asked her to make this recipe with her so my mom could know what "feeling right" meant. My point in this story is that you should share the blog when it feels right to do so. SSW makes a good point that if you let S know about the blog, you may end up censoring your thoughts. It may never feel right to share the blog with S. But then again, it sounds like you have a very open, honest, trusting relationship with S, so maybe not - maybe it will feel NOT right not to share it.

    Selfishly, I'd rather you wait until after Thanksgiving so that I can hear uncensored thoughts/feelings about traveling together and big family gatherings and all that. But maybe they'd be uncensored anyway.

    I know my advice wasn't especially helpful, but maybe it provided a little bit of food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! i miss seeing you in person, but your blog has been a fun glimpse into the goings-on of your life.

    I vote for telling Mr. Awesome-and-Caring sooner (ie. now) rather than later. It sounds like you're really proud of and excited by the openness that you two share - so don't hide this blog. If you feel strongly that you want a place where you can write freely without him reading it (with the promise that you won't write anything he'd be embarrassed about), I think its fair to ask him to not read it or to only read it selectively, if that makes you more comfortable. But if you don't tell him than it becomes a thing that you're hiding.

    Just my two sense... hope things continue to go well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to agree with the first two...the blog is your way to share what's going on with you (with a select few) and ask for advice. Sometimes, it's personal things going on, and sometimes it's something that actually involves him. I'd be inclined to have him wait (at least until you feel you can't injure your relationship...no matter what, good, bad, indifferent, the fact you've written about him is an uneasy feeling for any guy)...ok, I'm very uneven right now, as the painkillers are starting to set in, but hope you get the gist...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1...1 - don't tell him about the blog!

    ReplyDelete