Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year!

I want to tell you about our cruise, but first I want to talk to you about the new year. Some of you may know that January 1st is my birthday. So while a new year means a lot of things to a lot of people -- you all make new year's resolutions, and think about how this year is going to be so great, and all that fun stuff, every year when the clock strikes midnight, it's more than just a new calendar year for me. It's a brand new ACTUAL year for me for as well. I'm getting a year older, it's a new start, a fresh slate, as much as one can possibly have.

2010 was not what I expected to be. If on December 31, 2009, you asked me to predict the 10 things I thought would happen in 2010, I probably would have lost on at least 8 of them. But looking back on it, it was an amazing year for me and I couldn't be in a better place right now! Let's look at all the fabulous things that happened to me:

1) I went on an amazing vacation with my Mom (a cruise with just the 2 of us, then we joined up with my sister and my stepmother in Texas)

2) I broke up with a boyfriend of 2+ years who was a good-for-nothing, whom none of my friends or family liked, and with whom I was going nowhere fast. Everyday I realize how bad he was for me, how bad I was with him, and how glad I am that that ended -- and I just wish it had ended sooner. Oh well.

3) I made some amazing new friends on the UWS and actually started to become part of a community here

4) I was diagnosed with a medical condition I didn't realize I had, but as a result of that I don't get the daily headaches I didn't realize were so bothersome, I don't drink any more sodas, I rarely drink caffeine, I drink a lot more water, and I generally feel pretty great

5) I found an amazing new apartment that I love -- it's a grown up apartment with grown up furniture! I have a kitchen, a dining room table, a couch, a view! Oh, and a doorman! These are things that make you an adult in NYC.

6) I got the fellowship I wanted, at the place where I wanted. There are days when it sucks, but I generally enjoy it, and it's (hopefully) getting me to where I want to go. I love the teaching/precepting part of it. I'm 25% done! And best of all, I don't work nights or weekends anymore!!

7) I got to go home (to Alabama) for both Passover AND Rosh Hashanah this year, as well as Thanksgiving. That was truly a treat, since during medical school and residency I worked for so many of the holidays.

8) I've gotten to spend some time with my younger sister, who although she's only 28 months old, she's incredibly cute and smart (definitely takes after me). I can't wait to watch her grow up and develop a real relationship with her -- it's fun being an older sister!

9) Although I still have more weight to lose, I did lose (and keep off) 20 lbs this summer. I gained a lot during residency (80 hour work weeks will do that to you), and it felt good to take some of it off. Keeping it off has felt even better.

10) The best for last -- S has truly been the highlight of my year. I couldn't have expected him, but he's everything I could ask for. While he's certainly not perfect, we understand each other and make each other happy. Is there anything more to say than that? Whether we are on a Caribbean cruise or just sitting on my couch watching a movie, it's perfect. :-)

So here's to an even better 2011. I don't know what's in store, and frankly I don't care. I've learned that I'm better off not trying to guess and just going with what life decides to throw at me -- hopefully it will be at least as good, if not better, than 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Loves the Garden StateJanuary 5, 2011 at 4:14 PM

    What a wonderful year in review! May 2011 bring as many pleasant surprises as 2010!

    ReplyDelete